Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Hawn Family

My Co-worker Jen Hawn and I were pregnant at the same time. She is also a Labor and Delivery, now perinatal nurse. We all knew when her water broke extremely pre-mature that life can be uncertain. She was on bed-rest in the hospital for many weeks. The testing and ultrasounds unfortunately painted a very grim picture for this family. Jen and her husband Chris are a very religious couple and the prayed that this baby would make it into this world safely and healthy. They welcomed a baby girl, Charlotte. She is a now about to turn 3 in September. They have had lots of struggles with Charlotte, sensory issues, feeding issues, several surgeries including open-heart. But with all this on board, they still had a longing for another baby. Following a very healthy pregnancy and delivery they welcomed a healthy baby boy, Ryan. He is now 5 months old. Their world unfortunately was turned upside down when they discovered he has Spinal Muscular Atrophy, SMA Type 1. He is currently at home with the help of a pediatric hospice company. Jen is a great writer, when you read her blog she puts it all our there. You can go with her in the ups and downs of this journey. She has said that her goal isn't to fill up your keyboards with tears, but to just get out her feelings. She is so positive and always looks to the sunnier side of things. I long for her sweetness and patience. My goal in posting this is to maybe help others look around them and be thankful for what they have, to empathize with those struggling to get through each day and night.


Click Here to Read Jen's Story featured on my friend Danielle's Website http://extraordinarymommy.com/
or to follow her blog go to Jen's Family Website

2 comments:

ExtraordinaryMommy said...

They are an amazing family - and are surviving through the most challenging of circumstances - I am bowled over by their strength....

Laura said...

Thank you for this gentle reminder. I have been in an emotional slump the past several weeks, as I have watched my two year old Ethan suffer with his severe chronic eczema and asthma. Sometimes the lack of sleep, his continuous scratching/bleeding, and the fact that I cannot control or help him despite the highly potent medications and top Dr.'s just breaks me. Having Gone through this has given me a heart for Moms like your friend. It also helps me to remember my blessings.

Blog Archive